Interested in joining our team? Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
The Calcasieu Parish District Attorney’s Office (CPDAO) is looking for an Assistant District Attorney (ADA). This is a full-time, entry-level position and applicants must be licensed to practice law in the State of Louisiana.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
An Assistant District Attorney (ADA) will represent the State of Louisiana in all criminal matters before courts with jurisdiction in Calcasieu Parish. These courts include but are not limited to: Municipal and Traffic Court, Juvenile Court, Criminal District Court, the Louisiana Third Circuit Court of Appeal, and the Louisiana Supreme Court.
ADAs are generally assigned to one of CPDAO’s legal divisions: Appellate, Civil, Misdemeanors, Felony, and Special Victims Unit. ADAs may also be assigned to one of several specialized, in-house units: Domestic Violence, Severe Child Abuse, Adult Sex Crimes, and Combined Anti-Drug Team.
Typical Duties Include: reviewing felony and misdemeanor cases for prosecution; interacting with law enforcement, victims, and witnesses; drafting bills of information, motions, and other pleadings; preparing discovery; performing legal research; appearing and arguing in court with regularity; developing trial strategies and conducting plea negotiations; and conducting jury selection and trials.
Qualifications and Skills:
· Member of the Louisiana Bar in good standing, or recent law school graduate planning to take the Louisiana Bar Exam.
· Ability to conduct legal research and apply legal analysis to factual scenarios.
· Public speaking ability and effective communication skills
· Comfort with technology, including ability to learn case management software.
· Ability to work flexible hours, including some weeks over 40 hours.
· Dependability in both attendance and work product.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Entry-level ADAs start at $65,000.
New ADA hires may be eligible for:
· Enrollment in the Louisiana District Attorney’s Retirement System
· Enrollment in the Parish of Calcasieu health insurance plan
· A generous paid holiday schedule
· Frequent opportunities for Continuing Legal Education and other relevant training.